Tuesday 21 August 2018

James Gunn and Bautista against Disney

Okay I always hear about these things way too late, but in my defence I don't really give a shit about the real life aspect as long as I enjoy the movies.
I like songs, but not often bands/singers enough to know their real names or life stories. It's the same here.

Now I was watching a 'Beyond the Trailer' video that mentioned this tweet from Dave Bautista - the actor who portrays Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy.



Now, channel host Grace said that she realised that Dave did not value the Disney brand, explaining that it made sense for a family orientated company to not want to associate with what was going on.

I disagree. I don't think this has anything to do with Dave not "valuing" the Disney brand.. as it says RIGHT THERE in the tweet - he's ticked off about why it's come to this and how it's come about.

If you're not familiar with the story - basically the anti-Trump director posted some opinions about a conservative named Ben Shapiro in defence of a liberal actor named Mark Duplass who was trying to get his own fans to hear other, differing opinions. Then some right wingers like Mike Cernovich and Jack Posobiec went digging through Gunn's Twitter history to basically run a smear campaign against him instead of backing up their own argument with literally anything else.

THAT'S what Bautista is ticked off about. That these people have literally dug into the director's social media history from a decade ago to ruin his livelihood.



Now, I don't get America. This whole country (seems to me) to be entirely on the fence about politics. They're either fully gung-ho about it and won't associate with you if you're on the wrong side of th fence or they're completely apathetic to the point where ad campaigns have to be run again and again to encourage people to actually vote.

This is different to Australia - where it's mandatory to vote, so even if you don't know either party from a bar of soap you just have to aim for the least harmful candidate.

Hmm....

America just seems to be waaaay too big of a country to leave voting to the enthusiasts and the occasional passer-by who could lift a pen. Also I don't get their voting thing in general why some states seems to carry more weight? That seems wrong. Just like the whole Kansas/Arkansas debacle. Wrong on so many levels.

ANYWAY - my point is that some political enthusiast got the shits with a director who was wanting people to look at both sides and instead of coming back with a witty retort or even some facts - went on the classic smear campaign by finding old tweets that had been deleted.


Now Gunn's taken this well, he's acknowledged he made some poor judgement errors in trying to be controversial and he hasn't come out swinging at anyone. I mean, shit, I'm not defending his bad taste jokes but what does this mean? Could I get fired from my current job because I posted something stupid before I even started there?




Sure, these are tasteless jokes and completely inappropriate but people are calling Gunn a paedophile and saying that Bautista is throwing tantrums and should be fired as well as it's like...
well hang on there! Paedophile is not a term that should be thrown out lightly and there have been no convictions here. Secondly, should everyone that speaks out about an employer (in a polite and well thought out manner) because they disagree with something that they've done be fired?

He's said he will fulfill his contract but has mentioned that he's not happy that a giant corporation like Disney has bowed down to these people. Neither am I to be honest - it sets a worrying precedent and the phrase 'negotiating with terrorists' comes to mind.

Plus the Disney brand is one thing, but just because they acquired Marvel and Star Wars.. doesn't mean that these franchises should be changed into Disney products. We've already got idiots commentating that they won't stand for the Star Wars films being marketed at girls because it's not for girls....

Like what??? I've been into Star Wars since I knew what it was and was old enough to read the books! But ohhhh no, space adventures just aren't for girls! #spacethefinalglassceiling

So no, I don't think respecting the 'brand' has anything to do with it, I mean Deadpool's still running around isn't he? Not very in line with 'Disney' morals.. if a corporation can have morals anyway.

I do understand where they're coming from as a business, but at the same time - I'd like to know if there was any discussion with Gunn or if it was just straight up OH NO BAD PRESS QUICK FIRE EVERYONE BECAUSE OF TWITTER TROLLS

I mean, it's gotta work both ways, right? We've heard similarly disgusting shit about/from the current President of the USA - mostly on Twitter - but his job's apparently secure enough to save him. Then there are shock jocks - remember Howard Stern and his rape jokes?


In either case, Twitter seems to have waaaaaay too much power these days, especially when it's the main source of news headlines. 



No comments:

Post a Comment