Wednesday 6 November 2013

Remaking the classics... and why I hate upon them.

It seems like there's a lot more sampling around these days, and it bothers me even when they haven't ruined one of my favourite songs because basically... it makes everyone younger than me think that whoever sampled it... wrote the song.

Aww, hell no!

Oh wow, like, Atomic Kitten is totally so talented for writing 'the tide is high!' 

Yeah.. talented for stealing from Blondie..

Okay, that's an older example. Here's one I heard about twenty minutes ago.
Breakfast in America by Supertramp, turned into Cupid's Chokehold by Gym Class Heroes.

Original name, but it just seemed like they sampled it for the hell of it rather than what the songs about. The original seemed to me like some bloke who wasn't happy with his partner and life, but by the end of the song has come around a bit into a 'don't even think about looking at her, she's mine' mentality.



Gym Class Heroes - I get the feeling they wanted the 'take a look at my girlfriend' line... but I'm so puzzled at why they didn't change anything else in the chorus? The song is from a bloke's perspective of talking to his mother about his fantastic new girlfriend.. all the wonderful things she does, how awesome she looks, how proud she'll make the mum of the son.

Then the chorus goes on about how she's the only girlfriend he has, she's not much of a girlfriend and he never seems to get a lot. The lyrics also make the dubious claim that this girlfriend likes the music his band makes. First of all, whose music? Second of all, really? As in, seriously?

Lyrics: Original (Via LyricsMode)

I'm a winner, I'm a sinner
Do you want my autograph
I'm a loser, what a joker
I'm playing my jokes upon you
While there's nothing better to do

Don't you look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend
Never seem to get a lot

Take a jumbo cross the water
Like to see America
See the girls in California
I'm hoping it's going to come true
But there's not a lot I can do 


Lyrics: Sample (Via AZlyrics)

She's got a smile that would make the most senile
Annoying old man bite his tongue
I'm not done
She's got eyes comparable to sunrise
And it doesn't stop there
Man I swear
She's got porcelain skin of course she's a ten
And now she's even got her own song
But movin' on
She's got the cutest laugh I ever heard
And we can be on the phone for three hours
Not sayin' one word
And I would still cherish every moment
And when I start to build my future she's the main component
Call it dumb call it luck call it love or whatever you call it but
Everywhere I go I keep her picture in my wallet like here
Take a look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got (ba ba da da)
Not much of a girlfriend
I never seem to get a lot (ba ba da da, ba ba da da)


A weird distorted cover of Corona has been released by Bastille, and to me it just doesn't have the oomph the original did. This track, I sorta feel like I'm outside a club listening to their muted music through the walls. That makes me feel, and look sad haha! It's not the best, I'd prefer not to hear it but at least they tried to add something to it, I guess. Same for these guys, this would have been a lovely, sweet song except for the odd choice of chorus and background voices ba ba da ba da da'ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment